Monday, January 28, 2013

Wow, is it 2013 already...?

Oh dear...it seems I have been very slack (or is that busy?) and haven't posted here for a ridiculously long time. Quite a bit has happened in the last 6 months, so it might take me a few posts to catch up on everything.

Let's see, where were we?

Ah yes, more follow-up appointments...August 13th saw hearing tests for both Kaelen & Jarrah. Jarrah was fine, sailed through with no problems, and thankfully his hearing is still stable. That marks 3 years without a change! Woohoo!!

Kaelen did well but his middle ears were slightly blocked, so they couldn't be sure the results were accurate. Bother. This means coming back in about 8wks time (read: 12wks because there are no appts available) to redo the test. And, because Australian Hearing don't open their appointment books more than 3 months in advance, sometimes we can't actually make the next appointment because the month isn't open yet! Fortunately we were able to do that today, and make Jonica's next appointment as well. So, back again in late October & early November.

Speaking of Jonica, I did notice something with her around this time. I was sitting with her after a sleep one day reading a book, but we hadn't yet put her ears in. If this is the case I usually speak directly into the ear, as the kids can hear me if I speak in my normal voice at point blank range like that. We were looking at a book of family pictures and got to a page which had pictures of 'NanaPop', so of course I was pointing and saying 'NanaPop' right into her ear. She, like a good girl, was copying me as best she could but the best she could come back with was 'Nana-o', and the 'o' was virtually whispered. That gave me a really car indication of hat she actually hears without her hearing aids. 'P' is quite a high frequency sound, so of course that sits in an area where she seems to have very little hearing, and this little impromptu speech test apparently confirmed that. Poor sausage.

Tune in again soon for the next update, 29th October & 5th November Aus Hearing appointments...

3 comments:

Lissa said...

Welcome Back!

Alison said...

Thanks! Hope you've been well?

Lissa said...

I have ben good. I still blog all the time :) how are the kids?