Sunday, December 5, 2010

Osteopathy for Jonica - here's a new one!

Fri 19th Nov - Today Jonica had her first Osteopathy appointment. Osteopathy involves treatment of the musculoskeletal system (bones, muscles & joints) to optimize body function. I've been seeing an Osteo for years to treat/manage back & neck pain (a vocational hazard), and i like to have my kids checked after they're born since being born is a bit unkind to one's back and neck. By the time Jarrah was about 6wks old we noticed he was quite crescent-shaped, so i took him along to my Osteo...and she straightened him out! :-) Kaelen was a little bent but not much; had him checked anyway and he's been fine.

Jonica was quite obviously crescent-shaped by about 3wks old. I had of course planned to have her checked but hadn't got it yet; this observation pushed me along a bit. I like to have a check-over myself, too, after giving birth - being pregnant does weird things to your body and sometimes I need a bit of help getting back to the right shape again, along with the new stresses of carrying a baby on the outside, and the effects of breastfeeding. MissJ had also been a bit unsettled at times and i had wondered if she might be in some discomfort.

So we went to see my trusty Osteo...who had been off work herself for about 3-4 months with a badly broken leg! It was nice to see her again, and nice to be able to introduce our new addition to her. She treated MissJ first, and my mother and I sat there and watched her straighten out...it was quite amazing! The change was very noticeable during the treatment! Apparently MissJ was quite tight and restricted on her left side; Osteo was able to achieve some good changes but wants to see her again in a few weeks.

Although MissJ was quite unsettled after the treatment (due to tiredness & hunger, the treatment of babies is *very* gentle), I'm pleased we went. She slept well the rest of the day and the next day, so perhaps it's really helping?

And an amazing thing is happening...we have a week next week without an appointment! Oh, except that MissJ needs her 2month immunizations...

Next appt: Tues 30th Nov - Jonica, Aus Hearing follow-up

No comments: