Saturday, July 26, 2014

I hate fluctuating hearing loss...can I just make that clear?

Yep, let's get it out there right now. Fluctuating hearing loss sucks. Not sure which is worse, fluctuating hearing or deteriorating hearing. They *both* suck! You can just never tell from one day to the next what you're dealing with! And this makes raising kids rather tricky, as if it wasn't tricky already...

So Friday morning, I decided to test Jonica's Ling sounds again, just like Thursday. Hearing aids in, I stood in the same place...and she detected everything! Which is good, it means she's probably hearing pretty well, and certainly better than Thursday, but I just wish it would decide to be somewhere and jolly stay there! Through the morning it became clear that she was hearing almost "normally" - normally for her, as of Wednesday morning - although there were still a couple of times she missed things that I would have expected her to get.

So, what to do? I decided to take her to the retail chain anyway, just in case something showed up that I should do something about. My beautiful friend mc accompanied us. I had asked her to come on Thurs as I wasn't sure how I was going to handle another large drop with everything else going on, but given the fact that Jonica's hearing seemed to have recovered I now wasn't expecting any huge surprises. The people at the retail store were wonderful, very helpful and took our situation in their stride. Sadly their test only went to about 80dB, but that was enough to show us that there was perhaps a small change in the 1kHz region, but nothing that warranted panic. *Phew!*

Today was even better. Well, Jonica was a bit unwell today, ran a slight temperature most of the day, but she seemed to be hearing very well. Even in the evening when her temp was highest, Daddy and I both noticed she was hearing well, I'd say back to Wednesday morning levels. Good!

So, I've notified Aus Hearing just so they know, and I plan to inform our implant surgeon on Monday, just so everyone knows what's going on. As I've said before, 2 bad days every 2 years or so I can cope with, but if it starts to be 2 bad days every 2 months...? How bad do we let this get before we take more drastic measures? There are no easy answers, of course...which is why we just take one step at a time, and just do the next thing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hugs!! Hope they find an answer soon! Keep posting!

Wes said...

Only just found this blog! What a journey. Would love to have more chats sometime.. :)